Today, so many of us have FLC - "Feel Like Crap" syndrome. We are exhausted, bloated, achy, anxious and stressed out. Feeling better is a process of trial and error, taking time to get to the bottom of your discomfort and staying optimistic in the process. It’s certainly not straight forward or easy - especially because these symptoms can have totally different causes from person to person. One person with chronic bloat might be lactose intolerant, while another might have a gluten sensitivity. One person may be achy due to a food allergy, while another might have the same condition due to chronic stress at work.
There are so many healing modalities to try. Mine was mainly dietary, and the results were so profound that they inspired me to create Nüssli118° so I could share my new taste for plant-based, nutrient-dense foods with the world. I also incorporated exercises that felt good to my body like jogging and yoga, and another secret weapon: cleansing. If you’re experiencing “FLC” syndrome, cleansing can go a long way towards helping you feel better. When done carefully and correctly, cleanses can:
- Restore a sense of calm to the mind and the nervous system
- Promote mental, spiritual and emotional clarity
- Increase your energy, vitality and enthusiasm for life
- Aid in weight loss
- Restore a healthy sleep cycle
- Heal digestion and elimination
Most importantly for me, cleaning resets eating habits which extends all these benefits!
Whether you’re new to cleansing or an old pro, there are so many to choose from. You can try juicing, smoothies, an ayurvedic cleanse or a combination of healing foods and juices as recommended by one of my favorite authors, Linda Page, PhD. The common elements of any cleanse include:
- Preparation - A period of gradually eliminating processed foods and stimulants like caffeine from the diet
- Practice - The main part of the cleanse in which most foods have been eliminated, and you dramatically reduce strenuous activities like exercise, work and screen time.
- Reintroduction - An extended period of gradually adding healthy, nutritious foods back into your diet and observing how they make you feel.
While cleansing, it’s important to be gentle with yourself. Allow yourself to sleep more than you usually do, stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and only do light exercises like yin yoga if you feel up to it. The length of time you spend cleansing should vary depending on your needs and physical health - never overdo it! Fall and Spring are great times of year to do this, as the change in seasons has the body and mind primed for change.I have done many cleanses and truly enjoyed the process! With all the stresses we are enduring lately, now is a great time to explore which cleanse might be right for you. Let me know if you give it a try! And once you are done with your cleanse, don't forget to fuel your body with healthy foods like Nüssli118°’s handcrafted, nutrient-dense snacks and treats!